FULL GOSPEL FUNDAMENTALS 2 BI-224
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 19:17
1. BAPTISM INTO THE HOLY SPIRIT
THIS IS THE PROMISE OF THE FATHER TO ALL BELIEVERS, AND IS AN EXPERIENCE DISTINCT FROM AND SUBSEQUENT TO SALVATION. THE MANIFESTATION OF SPEAKING WITH OTHER TONGUES IS THE COMMON BIBLICAL PATTERN. WE ARE COMMANDED TO SEEK THIS ENDUEMENT OF POWER FROM HIGH FOR SERVICE.
AFTER SALVATION, THERE ARE MORE, SEPARATE EXPERIENCES, NOT A "PACKAGE DEAL."
PAUL ASKED IF SOME DISCIPLES HAD RECEIVED THE HOLY GHOST SINCE THEY BECAME BELIEVERS
He said to them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
AS SOME EPHESIANS TRUSTED CHRIST AFTER THEY HEARD THE TRUTH, EVEN SO, THEY WERE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT AFTER THEY BELIEVED
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.
THE SAMARITANS RECEIVED THE WORD AND WERE BAPTIZED IN WATER UNDER PHILIP'S MINISTRY, LATER THEY RECEIVED THE HOLY GHOST THROUGH THE MINISTRY OF PETER AND JOHN.
Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
THE FATHER PROMISED TO SHED AN ENDUMENT OF POWER UPON THE CHURCH
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST IS PROMISED TO ALL BELIEVERS
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38, 39
FIVE EXAMPLES OF BELIEVERS RECEIVING THE HOLY GHOST.
ALL OF THE 120 DISCIPLES WERE FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST AND BEGAN TO SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
THE SAMARITAN BELIEVERS APPARENTLY DID SOMETHING THAT ARRESTED THE ATTENTION OF SIMON, A SEEKER AFTER THE SUPERNATURAL
See Acts 8:5-25
(In this Scripture, Philip preached in Samaria. Apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria was receiving the Word of God and sent Peter and John to them. They laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Ghost. Simon tried to buy the power to bestow the Holy Ghost.)
AFTER PAUL RECEIVED THE HOLYGHOST HE THANKED GOD THAT HE SPOKE WITH TONGUES MORE THAN OTHERS
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.
1 Corinthians 14:18
CORNELIUS AND OTHER GENTILES HEARD PETER PREACH JESUS AND THE HOLY GHOST FELL ON THEM ALL. PETER AND THE JEWS HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES
See Acts 10
(Peter's vision on the housetop at Joppa; Peter's address in Cornelius' house; The Gentiles receive the Holy Ghost.)
WHEN THE HOLY GHOST CAME ON THE DOZEN EPHESIAN DESCIPLES, THEY SPOKE WITH TONGUES AND PROPHESIED
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
PAUL WISHED THAT ALL SPOKE WITH TONGUES AND THE THINGS HE WROTE ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD
I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying...If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write are the commandments of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 14:5, 37
THE BENEFITS AND USES OF SPEAKING WITH OTHER TONGUES.
THE SPIRIT HELPS US PRAY
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
SPEAKING IN TONGUES EDIFIES US
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that propesieth edifieth the church.
1 Corinthians 14:4
PRAYING IN THE HOLY GHOST BUILDS UP OUR FAITH
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.
WE ARE TO DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1 Corinthians 14:1
WE ARE TO COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS
But covet earnestly the best gifts...
1 Corinthians 12:31
WE RECEIVE POWER AFTER THE HOLY GHOST COMES UPON US TO BE WITNESSES
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
TONGUES IS A SIGN THAT FOLLOWS BELIEVERS
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.
See also 1 Corinthians 14:22; 1 Corinthians 1:22
TONGUES WITH INTERPRETATION IS A WAY OF GIVING MESSAGES TO THE CHURCH
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1 Corinthians 14:27
THE FOLLOWERS OF CHIRST SHOULD RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.
JESUS SAID THAT BELIEVERS SHOULD RECEIVE THE SPIRIT
In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the Scriptures hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
JESUS COMMANDED HIS DISCIPLES TO RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and saith unto them, Receive the Holy Ghost.
PAUL SAID TO NOT GET DRUNK, BUT TO BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
And be not drunk with wine, wherein lies excess; but be filled with the Spirit.
HOW TO RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST
OBEDIENCE BRINGS THE BLESSING
And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
LET US YIELD OURSELVES TO GOD
Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND GOD WILL FILL IT
I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
ASK YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN TO GIVE YOU THE HOLY GHOST
And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say to him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many has he needeth. And I say unto you, Ask and it shall be given you: seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Luke 11:5-13 (Compare with Matthew 7:7-11)
JESUS IS THE BAPTIZER WITH THE HOLY GHOST AND FIRE
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.
KEEP YOUR EYES ON JESUS
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
2. THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
A CHRISTIAN CAN NOT EXERCISE THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT UNTIL AFTER HE RECEIVES THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST, BUT AFTER HE HAS BEEN BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, HE CAN SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES. ALL THE GIFTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WILL USE THEM FOR THE GLORY OF GOD AND FOR SPIRITUAL EDIFICATION. THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT WAS THE COMMON EXPERIENCE OF THE EARLY CHURCH, AND SIGNS FOLLOW BELIEVERS TODAY TOO. CHRIST GAVE THE CHURCH POWER AND THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT ARE TO OPERATE THROUGH THE MEMBERS WHEN THE BRETHREN COME TOGETHER.
GOD WHO GAVE US HIS SON WILL ALSO FREELY GIVE US EVERYTHING ELSE
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
THE FATHER ABOVE GIVES US GOOD GIFTS
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
THE MANIFESTATIONS OF THE SPIRIT ARE FOR OUR SPIRITUAL PROFIT: WORD OF WISDOM, WORD OF KNOWLEDGE, FAITH, HEALING, MIRACLES, PROPHECY, DISCERNING OF SPIRITS, TONGUES, INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
WE HAVE DIFFERENT GIFT MINISTRIES: PROPHESYING, MINISTERING (SERVING), TEACHING, EXHORTING (PREACHING), GIVING (ALMS, GENEROSITY), RULING (LEADER, ADMINISTRATOR), MERCY (HOSPITALITY)
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that showeth mercy, with cheerfulness.
SIGNS THAT FOLLOW BELIEVERS: CASTING OUT DEVILS, SPEAKING WITH NEW TONGUES, ACCIDENTIALLY TAKING UP SERPENTS OR DRINKING DEADLY THINGS, LAYING HANDS ON THE SICK FOR RECOVERY
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then, after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
WE ALL HAVE SOME GIFT FROM GOD
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1 Corinthians 7:7
GOD DOESN'T TAKE HIS CALLING AND GIFTS BACK
For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
DON'T NEGLECT THE GIFT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
1 Timothy 4:14
STIR UP THE GIFT THAT IS IN YOU
Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
2 Timothy 1:6
COME TOGETHER AND PARTICIPATE WITH A PSALM, DOCTRINE, TONGUE, REVELATION, INTERPRETATION FOR EDIFICATION
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
1 Corinthians 14:26
DON'T ATTEMPT TO THWART THE OPERATION OF THE GIFT OF PROPHECY
Despise not prophesying.
1 Thessalonians 5:20
THE SIGNS, WONDERS, MIRACLES, ETC., OF THE EARLY CHURCH ARE FOR US TODAY TOO.
PAUL'S PREACHING WAS WITH DEMONSTRATION OF THE SPIRIT AND POWER OF GOD
And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1 Corinthians 2:4, 5
SIGNS AND WONDERS SHALL ACCOMPANY THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL
Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.
THE EARLY CHURCH HAD FAITH, POWER, WONDERS, AND MIRACLES
And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.
GOD GIVES SIGNS, WONDERS, MIRACLES, AND GIFTS ACCORDING TO HIS OWN WILL
God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will.
WE HAVE POWER OVER ALL THE POWER OF THE ENEMY
Behold I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
BELIEVERS SHALL DO GREATER WORKS
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall be do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
GOD IS NO RESPECTOR OF PERSONS
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.
3. DIVINE HEALING
THE SUPERNATURAL HEALING OF ALL MANNER OF SICKNESS AND DISEASE OF THE HUMAN BODY IS A PART OF THE ATONEMENT OF CHRIST, AS REPRESENTED IN THE TWO ELEMENTS OF THE LORD'S SUPPER (THE BREAD AND THE CUP) AND IS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF THE WHOLE GOSPEL. IT IS THE HERITAGE, PRIVILEGE, AND RIGHT OF EVERY CHILD OF GOD.
JESUS HEALED ALL THE SICK
When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick.
Matthew 8:16, 17
THE UNCHANGING CHRIST
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever.
JESUS BORE OUR SINS ON THE CROSS SO WE COULD LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY AND HE PROVIDED HEALING WITH HIS STRIPES
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
1 Peter 2:24
JESUS HAS ARISEN WITH THE HEALING FOR THOSE WHO FEAR HIM
But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow as calves of the stall.
REMEMBER TO BLESS GOD FOR HIS BENEFITS: HE FORGIVES INIQUITY, HEALS DISEASES, REDEEMS LIFE, CROWNS WITH LOVE AND MERCY, SATISFIES WITH GOOD THINGS, RENEWS YOUTH
Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who reedemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
THE LORD GAVE THE DISCIPLES POWER AGAINTST UNCLEAN SPIRITS AND TO HEAL SICKNESS AND DISEASES
And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
WHEN THE ELDERS PRAY THE PRAYER OF FAITH THE SICK ARE HEALED
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
4. SANCTIFICATION AND HOLINESS
ALL CHRISTIAN ARE TO BE SET APART AND SEPARATED FROM SIN, THE DEVIL, AND THE EVIL OF THE WORLD. THEY ARE TO BEPURE AND HOLY IN SPIRIT, SOUL, AND BODY. SANCTIFICATION IS A DEFINITE ACT, YET PROGRESSIVE, STARTING AS SALVATION AND CONTINUING UNTIL THE CONSUMATION OF SALVATION.
IT IS GOD'S WILL FOR YOU TO BE SANCTIFIED
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication.
1 Thessalonians 4:3
BE SEPARATE AND CLEAN SO GOD CAN RECEIVE YOU
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
2 Corinthians 6:17
BE YE HOLY
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
1 Peter 1:15, 16
WITHOUT HOLINESS WE CANNOT SEE THE LORD
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.
THE PURE IN HEART SHALL SEE GOD
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
WE ARE TO BE SANCTIFIED IN SPIRIT, SOUL, AND BODY
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:23
THE CARNAL MIND IS AGAINST GOD
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
LET US CLEANSE OURSLEVES FROM ALL FILTHINESS OF THE FLEASH AND SPIRIT
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Corinthians 7:1
MEANS OF OBTAINING SANCTIFICATION: CHRIST, THE WORD, THE BLOOD, AND THE SPIRIT.
CHRIST IS MADE UNTO US WISDOM, RIGHTEOUSNESS, SANCTIFICATION, AND REDEMPTION
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.
1 Corinthians 1:30
THE CHURCH IS SANCTIFIED AND CLEANSED BY THE WORD
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.
WE ARE SANCTIFIED THROUGH GOD'S WORD
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
JESUS SANCTIFIES US WITH HIS BLOOD
Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.
WE ARE SANCTIFIED BY THE SPIRIT
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2
THE ENEMIES OF THE CHRISTIAN: THE WORLD, THE FLESH, AND THE DEVIL. THE WOES OF WORLDLINESS; WE ARE IN THE WORLD, BUT NOT OF THE WORLD.
BE NOT CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD, BUT BE TRANSFORMED TO DO GOD'S WILL
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.
JESUS WANTS US KEPT FROM THE EVIL OF THE WORLD
I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
LOVE NOT THE WORLD, THE THINGS IN THE WORLD, THE LUST OF THE FLESH, THE LUST OF THE EYES, AND THE PRIDE OF LIFE
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.
1 John 2:15-17
BE NOT UNEQUALLY YOKED TOGETHER WITH THE WORLD
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14
FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD IS SPIRITUAL ADULTERY AGAINST GOD
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
LIVING THE CRUCIFIED LIFE.
THE WORKS OF THE FLESH: ADULTERY, FORNICATION, UNCLEANNESS, LASCIVIOUSNESS
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness.
BE CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
LET THE OLD NATURE BE CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
CRUCIFY THE FLESH AND THE AFFECTIONS AND LUST THEREOF
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
PRESENT YOUR BODY A LIVING SACRIFICE TO GOD
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
WE ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD AND THE SPIRIT OF GOD DWELLS IN US
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16
5. THE CHURCH
THE CHURCH IS THE UNIVERSAL FAMILY OF GOD'S PEOPLE CALLED THE BODY AND BRIDE OF CHRIST. CHRIST HIMSELF IS THE FOUNDATION, BUILDER, AND HEAD OF THE CHURCH WHICH SHOULD BE CALLED BY HIS NAME. IT IS MADE UPOF EVERY BELIEVER AMONG WHOM ALL EARTHLY DISTINCTIONS OF RACE, CLASS, ETC., ARE DISSOLVED. THE CHURCH IS TO BE UNIFIED, BUT AS IT IS OBVIOUSLY IMPRACTICAL FOR ALL CHRISTIANS OF ONE LARGE CITY TO GATHER INDOORS OR OUTDOORS INTO ONE CONGREGATION (AS IN THE DAYS OF THE EARLY APOSTLES), GOD HAS LED USTO FORM LOCAL CONGREGATIONS TO REGULARLY ASSEMBLE FOR PUBLIC WORSHIP, INSTRUCTION, ETC. CHRIST HONORS US WITH HIS PRESENCE WHERE EVEN TWO OR THREE BELIEVERS ARE GATHERED IN HIS NAME. ATTENDANCE IS ENJOINED BY EXAMPLE AND PRECEPT. THE CHURCH SHOULD HAVE AN UNPREACH TO GOD, AN INREACH FOR FELLOWSHIP, AND AN OUTREACH FORWITNESSING. THE CHURCH SHOULD BE GOVERNED BY ELDERS. A DIVINE THEOCRACY IS WORKED OUT BETWEEN THE PASTOR, THE ELDERS, AND OTHER OFFICERS IN MUTUAL SUBMISSION. DENOMINATIONS, ECCLESIASTICAL HIERARCHIES, SECTARIAN-PARTY SPIRIT, AND SCHISMS ARE CONDEMNED.
JESUS CHRIST IS THE FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:11
THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD, IS THE ROCK UPON WHICH HE BUILDS HIS CHURCH
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
CHRIST IS THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.
THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST IS IN OUR MIDST
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
WE ARE BUILT TOGETHER AS A HOUSE FOR GOD TO DWELL IN BY HIS SPIRIT
In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
THE CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD IS THE PILLAR AND THE GROUND OF THE TRUTH
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
1 Timothy 3:15
WE ARE THE MANY MEMBERS OF THE ONE BODY OF CHRIST
So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
ALL EARTHLY DISTINCTIONS ARE DONE AWAY IN CHRIST
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
WE ARE TO RECEIVE ALL OTHER CHRISTIANS
Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.
THE CHURCH IS TO BE FITLY FRAMED TOGETHER
In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord.
JESUS PRAYED THAT ALL TRUE BELIEVERS MIGHT BE ONE
See the 17th Chapter of John
CHURCH GOVERNMENT THROUGH PROPERLY BALANCED SUBMISSION.
GOD SET APOSTLES, PROPHETS, TEACHERS, HELPERS (DEACONS), ETC., IN THE CHURCH
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:28
GIFT MINISTRIES OF CHRIST: PROPHESYING, MINISTERING, EXHORTING, GIVING, RULING, SHOWING MERCY
Having then gifts of differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that showeth mercy, with cheerfulness.
GOD IS THE AUTHOR OF PEACE IN THE CHURCHES
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
1 Corinthians 14:33
DO ALL THINGS DECENTLY AND ORDERLY
Let all things be done decently and in order.
1 Corinthians 14:40
OBEY AND SUBMIT TO THOSE WHO ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR WATCHING OVER YOU
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
SUBMISSION TO SPIRITUAL SENIORITY, BEING HUMBLE, NOT PROUD
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5
SINNERS EXERCISE DOMINION OVER EACH OTHER; BUT AMONG CHRISTIANS THE GREATEST IS THE MINISTER AND THE CHIEF IS THE SERVANT
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
THE DAY OF WORSHIP.
ANY DAY IS SUITABLE FOR MEETINGS
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully in his own mind.
THE EARLY CHURCH MET TOGETHER DAILY
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart.
LET NO MAN JUDGE YOU FOR SABBATH DAYS (DAY OF WORSHIP)
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath day.
CHURCH ATTENDANCE ENJOINED BY EXAMPLE AND PRECEPT.
CHRIST HABITUALLY ATTENDED THE SYNAGOGUE ON THE SABBATH
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
GATHER PEOPLE TOGETHER TO HEAR AND LEARN TO DO
Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the Lord your God, and observe to do all the words of this law.
WE MUST NOT FORSAKE THE ASSEMBLING OF OURSELVES TOGETHER, BUT RATHER EXHORT ONE ANOTHER
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
WE SHOULD BE GLAD TO GO TO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD
I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO DWELL IN GOD'S HOUSE
Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah...For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
Psalm 84:4, 10
THE UPREACH TO GOD IN PRAYER AND WORSHIP.
GOD'S HOUSE IS TO BE A HOUSE OF PRAYER
Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.
THE EARLY CHURCH HAD AN HOUR OF PRAYER
Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
SPIRITUAL WORSHIP IS A MUST
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
SING PSALMS AND HYMNS AND SONGS IN THE SPIRIT WITH GRACE IN YOUR HEART
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
SINGING IN THE SPIRIT
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15
THE INREACH TO FELLOWSHIP, LOVE, UNITY.
THE EARLY CHURCH CONTINUED STEADFASTLY IN THE APOSTLES' TEACHING, FELLOWSHIP, COMMUNION, AND PRAYER
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
IF WE WALK IN THE LIGHT WE WILL HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH ONE ANOTHER, AND THE BLOOD OF CHRIST CLEANSES US FROM SIN
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1 John 1:7
GOD REMEMBERS THOSE WHO FEAR HIM AND THINK HIS NAME AND COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER CHRISTIANS
Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE GREAT LOVE AMONG YOURSELVES
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8
MUTUAL COMFORT AND EDIFICATION
Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
1 Thessalonians 5:11
UNITY AMONG BRETHREN IS GOOD AND PLEASANT
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
STRENGTH IN UNITY
Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
THE OUTREACH OF WITNESSING TO LOST SOULS.
BE WITNESSES EVERYWHERE
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 1:8 (Compare with Proverbs 11:30)
JESUS SAID THE HARVEST IS GREAT BUT THE LABORERS ARE FEW. PRAY FOR LABORERS TO BE SENT FORTH.
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
JESUS SAID LIFT UP YOUR EYES, LOOK ON THE FIELDS, THEY ARE READY TO HARVEST
Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
THE GREAT COMOSSION OF EVANGELIZATION OF THE WORLD.
GO PREACH THE GOSPEL EVERYWHERE
And said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:15, 16
GIVING AND PROSPERITY
GIVE AS YOU ARE ABLE ACCORDING TO THE BLESSINGS OF GOD
Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord thy God which he hath given thee.
GIVE GOD HIS DUE. BRING AN OFFERING. COME BEFORE HIM. WORSHIP THE LORD
Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
1 Chronicles 16:29
HONOR THE LORD WITH YOUR SUBSTANCE AND FIRST FRUITS; YOU SHALL BE FILLED WITH PLENTY
Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the first fruits if all thine increase. So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
Proverbs 3:9, 10
IF YOU SOW BUOUNTIFULLY OR SPARINGLY, YOU WILL REAP THE SAME WAY. GIVE AS YOU DECIDE, NOT GRUDGINGLY BUT CHEERFULLY
But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:6, 7
PROSPERITY PROMISED FOR GIVING, TITHES, AND FIRST FRUITS
See Exodus 25:2; 1 Chronicles 29:9; Malachi 3:10; Luke 6:38; 2 John 2
THE EVILS OF DENOMINATIONALISM, DIVISIONS, EXCLUSIVENESS,AND ISOLATIONSIM
THREE BRANDS OF RELIGION PROPOSED: JESUS TABERNACLE (GRACE), MOSES TABERNACLE (LAW), ELIJAH TABERNACLE (PROPHECY)
Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.
DIVISIONS, CONTENTIONS, AND PARTY SPIRIT FORBIDDEN
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and there there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:10-13
PAUL PLANTED, APOLLOS WATERED, BUT GOD GAVE THE INCREASE
For ye are carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by who, ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God gave the increase. Now he that planeth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
1 Corinthians 3:3-9
THERE SHOULD BE NO SCHISM (EXCLUSIVE CLIQUES) IN THE BODY OF CHRIST, BUT RATHER MUTUAL EMPATHY
That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honored, all the members rejoice with it.
1 Corinthians 12:25, 26
JESUS INSTRUCTED HIS DISCIPLES TO NOT REJECT A MAN'S MINISTRY JUST BECAUSE HE WAS NOT A MEMBER OF THEIR PARTICULAR GROUP
And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us; and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mark 9:38, 39 (See also Numbers 11:24-29)
NOTE: Questions are based directly on the verses used.
- Paul asked the 12 disciples of John, the baptizer, have you received the Holy Ghost __________ ye believed?
____ A. When
____ B. At the very time that
____ C. Since
____ D. At the same time
____ E. As
- In the same way that the Ephesians trusted in Christ after they heard the Word of truth, they also were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise after they believed.
- Philip went to Samaria and preached Christ to them. They gave heed, hearing and seeing miracles of unclean spirits cast out and healings.
- There was great joy in Samaria and men and women were baptized in water, but the Holy Ghost had not fallen on them.
- Peter and John were sent from the Church at Jerusalem, for the Samaritans had received the Holy Ghost when they believed.
- Peter and John prayed and laid hands on the Samaritan believers because they received the Holy Ghost when they were baptized with water.
- The promise of the father is the enduement of power from on high.
- The gift of the Holy Ghost, the promise of the Father, is unto __________.
____ A. The 12 apostles only
____ B. The early church exclusively
____ C. Pastors and preachers alone
____ D. The elect elite
____ E. All Christians
- On the day of Pentecost, __________ of the 120 disciples were filled with the Holy Ghost.
____ A. None
____ B. Few
____ C. Some
____ D. Most
____ E. All
- Jesus sent Ananias to put his hands on Saul (Paul) so he might receive his sight and __________.
____ A. Be able to see again
____ B. Continue on his journey
____ C. Be filled with indignation
____ D. Be filled with the Holy Ghost
____ E. Renew his youth
- Paul thanked God that __________.
____ A. He had the greatest gift- Love
____ B. He had the nine fruits of the Spirit
____ C. He could play the guitar
____ D. He spoke with tongues
____ E. He didn't need the gifts
- The Circumcision (Jewish Believers) that came with Peter knew that the gift of the Holy Ghost was poured out on the Gentiles __________. (Acts 10:45, 46)
____ A. For they fell prostrate before the Lord
____ B. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God
____ C. Because they developed refined Christian character
____ D. Because they leaped, ran, and shouted for joy
____ E. For they felt an inward warmth and had a glowing smile
- When Paul laid his hands on the 12 disciples of John, the Holy Ghost came on them and __________.
____ A. They repented of their ignorance
____ B. They wondered if they really received it
____ C. They spoke with tongues and prophesied
____ D. They waxed bold before the Lord
____ E. They disputed daily for two years
- Paul said, I would that ye __________.
____ A. Remember it had passed away
____ B. Would act more reverently
____ C. Would submit to me
____ D. All spoke with tongues
____ E. Make a larger annual pledge
- Prophecy is greater than tongues.
- The things Paul wrote to the Corinthians are the commandments of the Lord.
- The Spirit helps our weaknesses by praying for us with feelings too deep to express words.
- He that speaks with an unknown tongue __________.
____ A. Edifies himself
____ B. Selfishly edifies himself
____ C. Should hold his peace
____ D. Must not offend visitors
____ E. Should be removed from the service
- Tongues benefit others mostly, whereas prophecy benefits the speaker mostly.
- Praying in the Holy Ghost helps build up your faith.
- Paul taught that we are to follow after __________.
____ A. Charity, the only spiritual gift
____ B. Spiritual gifts rather than charity
____ C. Charity without the spiritual gifts
____ D. Charity and desire spiritual gifts
____ E. Neither spiritual gifts nor charity
- We are not to __________.
____ A. Despise the gifts
____ B. Covet earnestly the best gifts
____ C. Earnestly desire the higher gifts
____ D. Eagerly desire the greater gifts
____ E. Aim at the higher gifts
- The Holy Ghost gives us power to be witnesses for Jesus.
- Jesus taught that tongues is a sign that follows __________.
____ A. People of the Devil
____ B. Uneducated holy rollers
____ C. The fanatical fringe
____ D. Believers
____ E. Poor kooks
- Paul allowed as many as 3 messages in tongues with interpretation in a meeting.
- Those who believe on Jesus may have rivers of living water flowing out of their innermost being.
- "Rivers of living water flowing out of a believer" refers to the Spirit, which was poured out after Jesus was glorified.
- They that believe on Jesus should receive the Spirit.
- Jesus breathed on His disciples and said, __________ ye the Holy Ghost.
____ A. Remember
____ B. Regulate
____ C. Review
____ D. Receive
____ E. Revile
- Paul enjoined the Ephesians: __________.
____ A. Be not drunk, but be filled with the Spirit
____ B. Be not intoxicated, but be filled with comfort
____ C. Be not violent, but be filled with wonder
____ D. Be not greedy, but be filled with courage
____ E. Do not overeat, but be filled with plenty
- God has given the Holy Ghost to those who obey Him.
- Paul said to yield yourself to God.
- The Lord God says to close your mouth tight and I will fill it.
- Jesus taught: Ask and it shall be given; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened.
- Jesus taught if we ask for bread we will get a stone or if we ask for a fish we will get a serpent, or if we ask for an egg we will get a scorpion.
- If earthly fathers do not give good gifts to their children, how much more shall our Heavenly Father not give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him.
- John baptized with the Holy Ghost and fire, but Jesus baptized with water unto repentance.
- Looking unto __________ the author and finisher of our faith...
____ A. Yourselves
____ B. Others
____ C. Jesus
____ D. Things
____ E. The world
- God spared not His own Son, and He shall not with Him also freely give us all things.
- Good and perfect gifts come down from the Father of lights.
- The Creator of the Heavenly Lights is not without change and is slightly inconsistent.
- 1 Corinthians 12 lists the gifts of the nine spirits.
- The manifestation of the Spirit has been withdrawn due to variableness with God.
- The manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to __________.
____ A. Ponder withal
____ B. Quench
____ C. Profit withal
____ D. Neglect
____ E. Be proud withal
- One of the supernatural gifts of the Spirit is __________.
____ A. Translation of babblings and gibberish
____ B. The gift of suspicion
____ C. The gift of prophesying
____ D. Vast knowledge and wisdom
____ E. Denying of miracles
- The following is not named as one of the gift ministries:
____ A. Prophecy
____ B. Ministering and teaching
____ C. Fruit inspector and critic
____ D. Ruling and mercy
____ E. Giving
- Signs that believers do in Jesus' name:
____ A. Calling up spirits and casting out devils
____ B. Learning new languages and tongues
____ C. Playing with snakes and handling serpents
____ D. Tempting God by deliberately drinking poison
____ E. Laying hands on the sick for their recovery
- __________ man hath his proper gift of God.
____ A. Every
____ B. Few
____ C. Some
____ D. Most
____ E. No
- Sometimes God changes His mind and takes back His gifts and callings.
- We should __________ the Spiritual endowments which we have received.
____ A. Neglect
____ B. Let lapse
____ C. Use
____ D. Abandon
____ E. Put under a bushel
- As Paul told Timothy, we are not to __________ the gift that is in us.
____ A. Stir into flame
____ B. Fan into flame
____ C. Rekindle
____ D. Take for granted
____ E. Keep alive
- When we come together with the brethren we are not to contribute __________.
____ A. A psalm or song
____ B. A doctrine or teaching
____ C. Message in tongues
____ D. Attempt to sublimate
____ E. Try to ignore
- Paul instructed us to __________ prophesying.
____ A. Just tolerate
____ B. Despise not
____ C. Frown upon
____ D. Attempt to sublime
____ E. Try to ignore
- Paul's speech and preaching was in demonstration of the Spirit and power of God.
- Our faith should stand in enticing words of men's wisdom.
- Paul made little mention of mighty signs and wonders, but rather humble shared the Gospel of Christ.
- Stephen was full of faith, and wonders and miracles resulted.
- The great salvation truths spoken by Jesus and passed on by those who heard Him were confirmed by signs, wonders, miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost.
- God doesn't back up the Gospel with such supernatural things today because no one on earth needs it.
- Jesus gave us power over serpents, scorpions, and the enemy, but not over demon spirits.
- Jesus said that those who believe in Him would be able to do the works He did and even greater works.
- With God, __________.
____ A. All things are impossible
____ B. All things are improbable
____ C. All things are possible
____ D. All things are probable
____ E. Some things are probable and possible
- God __________.
____ A. Leans toward people living in Israel
____ B. Was biased toward the early church
____ C. Played favorites with people living in the first century
____ D. Is no respecter of persons
____ E. Was partial to the Old Testament days
- Jesus cast out evil spirits with His word and __________ that were sick.
____ A. Lamented with all
____ B. Expressed his sympathy to all
____ C. Gave flowers and cards to some
____ D. Chatted with and cheered up those
____ E. Healed all
- The personality and purpose of Jesus is the same forever, but you can't really expect Him to do the same spiritual works now that He did almost 2,000 years ago.
- Jesus bore our sickness by dying on the tree, and by His stripes we are saved.
- The Sun of righteousness has __________ in His wings.
____ A. Arisen with plenty of healing
____ B. Been entombed with healing
____ C. No healing today like he used to have
____ D. Stopped having healing
____ E. Arisen without healing
- The first benefits of the Lord, that we should bless His name for and not forget, are forgiveness of all iniquity and healing of all diseases.
- Jesus called His disciples and gave them power to cast out demons, and to heal __________ sickness and disease.
____ A. Unimportant
____ B. Lesser kinds of
____ C. Minor
____ D. Some
____ E. All
- Is there any sick among you? Let him call for the doctor or hospital, and he shall be healed.
- For this is __________, even your sanctification.
____ A. Rules of the church
____ B. Preacher's sermon
____ C. The way of religion
____ D. The Will of God
____ E. The desire of the world
- We are to __________, that God might accept us.
____ A. Keep company with the wicked
____ B. Hang around the filth of the world
____ C. Touch no unclean thing
____ D. Handle the fleshly smut
____ E. Roll in the muck of sin
- God doesn't expect anyone to try to be holy, because it just can't be done.
- No one shall see the Lord without __________.
____ A. Hospitality
____ B. Heroism
____ C. Hardiness
____ D. Heed and haste
____ E. Holiness
- __________ shall see God.
____ A. Priests and bishops
____ B. Visionaries
____ C. The pure in heart
____ D. Nice guys and good fellows
____ E. Respectable citizens and decent neighbors
- Paul prayed that the Thessalonian Christians' whole __________ be preserved blameless.
____ A. Spirit, soul, and body
____ B. Mind, body, and soul
____ C. Will, imagination, and perception
____ D. Body, clothes, and home
____ E. Hands, head, and feet
- The __________ is not hostile or opposed to God and His Law.
____ A. Lower nature
____ B. Carnal outlook
____ C. Mind set on the flesh
____ D. New divine nature
____ E. Old sinful nature
- We are to cleanse ourselves of all filthiness of __________.
____ A. Outward appearance
____ B. Smoking, drinking, and cursing
____ C. The ears, eyes, and tongue
____ D. The flesh and Spirit
____ E. Houses and Lands
- Christ is not made unto us __________.
____ A. Religion
____ B. Wisdom
____ C. Righteousness
____ D. Sanctification
____ E. Redemption
- Christ sanctifies for His own to be __________ through God's truth.
____ A. True orthodoxy
____ B. Reformation
____ C. The Word
____ D. Dogmatism
____ E. Divine science
- Jesus prayed for His own to be __________ through God's truth.
____ A. Organized
____ B. Sanctified
____ C. Proselytized
____ D. Sophisticated
____ E. Antagonized
- Jesus suffered outside the gate of Jerusalem that He might __________ His people with His own Blood.
____ A. Deify
____ B. Sanctify
____ C. Ritualize
____ D. Denominationalize
____ E. Venerate
- Peter addressed his letter to the elect sanctified by the Spirit to be obedient.
- We are not to be transformed to this world, but to be conformed unto it, by the renewing of our mind.
- Jesus prayed the Father that we who are in the world should be taken out of the world.
- Jesus prayed that we should be of the world, but not in it.
- Jesus prayed that we should not be kept from the evil of the world.
- We are to love the __________.
____ A. World that passes away
____ B. Father and the will of God
____ C. Things in the world
____ D. Pride of life
____ E. Lust of the flesh and eyes
- Believers should __________ with unbelievers.
____ A. Not be mismatched
____ B. Be yoked together
____ C. Unite themselves in the same harness
____ D. Work together as equals
____ E. Be linked up
- If you are a friend of the world, you are the enemy of God.
- The following is not one of the indulgences of the lower sinful nature.
____ A. Adultery
____ B. Fornication
____ C. Indecency
____ D. Sensuality
____ E. Morality
- Paul said he was __________ with Christ.
____ A. Circumcised
____ B. Crucified
____ C. Contemporary
____ D. Celebrated
____ E. Canonized
- Our old self nature is __________ with Christ, that we should not serve sin.
____ A. Created
____ B. Converted
____ C. Crucified
____ D. Cultivated
____ E. Comforted
- They that are Christ's have __________ the flesh with the affection and lust.
____ A. Contrasted
____ B. Coordinated
____ C. Collaborated
____ D. Commemorated
____ E. Crucified
- God certainly would not expect anyone to give their body to Him as a living sacrifice.
- To be a living martyr for God is an unreasonable service.
- The Spirit of God dwells in the temple of our bodies.
- Jesus Christ is __________ of the church.
____ A. The compelling force
____ B. The bright future
____ C. The only foundation
____ D. The frontier
____ E. A factor
- Christ is building His church upon the rock, which is __________.
____ A. Peter's revelation that Jesus was one of the prophets
____ B. Peter the apostle
____ C. A stony place in Jerusalem
____ D. The fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God
____ E. The ancient ecclesiastical hierarchy
- As Christ is the head of the church, so the husband is the head of the wife; and as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wife be subject to her own husband; and as Christ loved the church, so let the husband love his wife.
- Christ promised to be in the midst of __________ where they are gathered in His name.
____ A. Two or tree dozen
____ B. Four or five
____ C. Two or three
____ D. Forty
____ E. Seven God's perfect number
- We are the house God's Spirit inhabits.
- __________ is the pillar and ground of the truth.
____ A. Our nation's capitol
____ B. The public school system
____ C. The church of the living God
____ D. The discoveries of science
____ E. The psychological association
- There are many bodies of Christ with their separate members.
- The Christians are distinguished by different __________.
____ A. Races and sexes
____ B. Cultural classes
____ C. Educational levels
____ D. Economic statuses
____ E. None of the above
- We each have the right in Christ to reject other Christians which we feel are beneath us in some way.
- In Christ the whole structure is __________ together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord.
____ A. Prayerfully placed
____ B. Carefully joined
____ C. Properly bonded
____ D. Fitly framed
____ E. All of the above
- As the Father and the Son are one, so all true Christians are one in Christ.
- God is the Father of all men in the world and all men are brothers in Christ.
- What God has not set in the Church:
____ A. Apostles
____ B. Prophets and teachers
____ C. Miracles, healings, and tongues
____ D. Governments and helpers
____ E. Right Reverends and Holy Popes
- In 1 Corinthians 12:28, God set apostles and prophets in the church, but in 2 Corinthians 13:15, He took them back.
- We all have the same gift ministry according to the same measure of grace given to us.
- God is the author of confusion, as in all the churches of the saints.
- Let everything be done in __________ way.
____ A. Proper, decent, and orderly
____ B. A calm, quiet, sedating
____ C. An exciting, loud, hyped up
____ D. The established traditional
____ E. The usual routine
- Church members should __________ those who are accountable for watching over the flock.
____ A. Observe and scrutinize
____ B. Offend and strive with
____ C. Object to and set aside
____ D. Oppose and slander
____ E. Obey and submit to
- Christians should have a submissive attitude toward each other, especially toward older Christians.
- God resists the humble, but giveth grace to the proud.
- In the world, the great exercise authority and dominion over others.
- Among Christians, the greatest are those who are served by others.
- Whether you consider one day more important than others or not, is a matter of your own preference.
- The early church met __________ in the temple, and ate meals in each other's home with gladness and sincere hearts.
____ A. 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month
____ B. On the Sabbath day (Saturday)
____ C. On Sunday mornings only
____ D. 2 or 3 times a week
____ E. Daily
- Jesus of Nazareth, our example, __________.
____ A. Avoided the synagogue because it was full of hypocrites
____ B. Customarily attended local public worship
____ C. Was so busy about His Father's business, he didn't have time for the synagogue
____ D. Withdrew Himself from all religious institutions
____ E. Habitually spent His sabbaths for recreation, trips, and resting up
- Men, women, children, and strangers are to __________ to hear, learn, fear, etc.
____ A. Abide in their own home
____ B. Go their separate way
____ C. Gather together
____ D. Run to and fro
____ E. Walk around outside
- We are to __________ ourselves together as the manner of some is.
____ A. Be elsewhere more important
____ B. Desert the fellowship thereof
____ C. Not forsake the assembling of
____ D. Diligently practice absenteeism
- David, a man after God's own heart, was __________ when they said to him, Let us go into the house of the Lord.
____ A. A dad
____ B. Sad
____ C. Glad
____ D. Mad
____ E. Bad
- Blessed are they that __________ God's house.
____ A. Intend to remember
____ B. Dwell in
____ C. Carefully abandon
____ D. Evacuate
____ E. Pass by and admire
- True Christian people should have __________ among them.
____ A. Exclusive classes
____ B. Dogmatic separationist
____ C. Doctrinal rifts
____ D. No divisions
____ E. Multiple factions
- God's house shall be called a house of __________ for all people.
____ A. True holiness
____ B. Joyfulness
____ C. Prayer
____ D. Inspiring singing
____ E. Great sermon and preaching
- Peter and John went up together unto the temple __________.
____ A. At the hour of coffee and doughnuts
____ B. At the hour of prayer
____ C. For a cake and rummage sale
____ D. For Saturday evening square dancing and folk games
____ E. For piano and choir practice
- A Spirit God does not necessarily require spiritual worship.
- We are to sing __________.
____ A. Psalms
____ B. Hymns
____ C. Spiritual songs
____ D. Songs in the Spirit
____ E. All of the above
- We are to sing psalms, hymns, and inspired songs just to the audience.
- We can pray in our understanding and in the Spirit, but we can only sing in our understanding.
- The early church __________ in teaching, fellowship, communion, and in prayer.
____ A. Sometimes
____ B. Spasmodically
____ C. Steadfastly
____ D. Wearily
____ E. Occasionally
- The church today should also continue in the same things.
- If we walk in the light, __________.
____ A. We have fellowship one with another
____ B. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin
____ C. We are in union with each other
____ D. We share together a common life
____ E.. All of the above
- A book of remembrance was written for those that __________.
____ A. Frequently discussed each other
____ B. Greeted not their fellows
____ C. Spoke often one to another
____ D. Communicated little with their neighbors
____ E. All of the above
- __________ have fervent charity among yourselves.
____ A. At Christmas time
____ B. Above all things
____ C. Somewhat sparingly
____ D. It isn't really necessary to
____ E. None of the above
- Brethren dwelling together in unity is both good and unpleasant.
- We are to get together and __________ ourselves.
____ A. Change and endure
____ B. Control and enforce
____ C. Comfort and edify
____ D. Charm and entertain
____ E. Chant and exhaust
- Being in unity doesn't bring much peace, and agreeing together is little advantage in prayer.
- Jesus said His disciples would be witnessing unto Him in __________.
____ A. Jerusalem
____ B. Judaea
____ C. Samaria
____ D. The uttermost parts of the earth
____ E. All of the above
- Jesus taught that the harvest was few, but the laborers were great.
- Jesus taught us to pray that the Lord of the harvest would go forth and labor in the harvest.
- Lift up your eyes and look on the fields for __________.
____ A. There are yet 4 months to go
____ B. They are not ready to harvest
____ C. They are white already to harvest
____ D. It's not the right time for harvest
____ E. We shall go forth later to harvest
- Jesus wanted the gospel preached to __________.
____ A. All the world
____ B. Everyone
____ C. All people
____ D. Every race and country
____ E. All of the above
- He that __________ shall be saved.
____ A. Is baptized
____ B. Believes or is baptized
____ C. Is not baptized
____ D. Believeth not
____ E. Believes and is baptized
- __________ shall give as he is able.
____ A. Other people
____ B. Every man
____ C. Family men
____ D. Single men
____ E. Rich men
- Bringing an offering is associated with __________.
____ A. Giving glory to the name of the Lord
____ B. Coming before the Lord
____ C. Worshiping the Lord
____ D. The beauty of holiness
____ E. All of the above
- Honor the Lord with thy __________.
____ A. Good intentions and best regards
____ B. Immaterial things
____ C. Substance and stuff
____ D. Intangible tokens
____ E. All of the above
- We are to honor the Lord also with the first fruits of all our increase.
- If you sow sparingly you will reap bountifully; and if you sow bountifully you shall reap sparingly.
- God is pleased with those who give __________.
____ A. Sadly but dutifully
____ B. Feeling regretful
____ C. Under compulsion
____ D. Reluctantly
____ E. Cheerfully
- Giving what we have is not related to our receiving material blessings.
- Peter had the right idea by exalting Jesus equally with Moses and Elijah by making a tabernacle for each of them.
- Paul commended the Corinthians for not having the same mind, judgement, or speaking the same thing.
- Paul was displeased that there were divisions and contentions within the church at Corinth.
- About A.D. 59, the Corinthian Church was divided into those of __________.
____ A. Paul
____ B. Apollos
____ C. Cephas
____ D. Christ
____ E. All of the above
- Paul commended these dissenting factions, sects, and parties.
- Withdrawing and separating from other true Christians is a mark of carnality.
- Paul stated that he planted, God gave the rain, and Apollos made the increase.
- Paul wrote 1 Corinthians to show that we need different denominations within the body of Christ that every man might find what suits him best.
- When one member suffers, all the members rejoice with him, and when one member is honored, all the members suffer with him.
- John forbade a certain man from casting out devils in Jesus' name because the man __________.
____ A. Didn't follow them
____ B. Was one of them
____ C. Was one of their group
____ D. He traveled along with them
____ E. All of the above